Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Soil Test

Soil Tips:

Want to see the quality of your soil? Here is a tip I got from Ed Smith the author of “The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible.
In the spring before the soil gets to warm. With a spade, outline and remove a block of soil about a foot square and 7 inches deep. Spread the soil out on a board, gently break up the soil, and count the worms. Fewer than 10 worms in your soil sample is bad news. Chances are your soil is lacking in organic matter, and organic matter is the breakfast buffet to a worm. Worms do two things very, very well! They eat and make more worms. Add organic matter to the soil and you supply them with food, and with food they’ll happily make lots more worms.
When I first started my garden 12 years ago I had few worms....don't be discouraged, you can turn in some Mushroom Compost (buy it by the bag at Portland Nursery) as you plant. 
 When I first started my garden in 2000 I bought 4 yards of Mushroom Compost and turn it into the soil in the fall and let it feed my little wiggly friends. I now have over 30per my square block.
My little wiggle friends 
It's going to be a good year!
32 and counting!

1 comment:

  1. As per my thinking, if anybody wants to maintain their garden in the proper way and keep garden soil productive for long time, then soil testing process will be must important for them. This article will be very useful to garden owners for garden soil testing.

    soil testing Brisbane

    ReplyDelete