Sunday, May 6, 2012

My favorite Green Bean!
Ed Hume French Bush Bean
    Ed Hume Seeds
    Type: French Beans Gourmet Green Bush, Baby Filet Type

     This is one of my family's favorite vegetables in our garden! If you only plant one type of green bean......this needs to be the one!
     I planted mine by seed April 22nd and May 5th they broke ground. This bush bean is easy to grow, and has a beautiful dark green color. It is very productive, tender, flavorful, and easy to pick.
     I enjoy this bush bean, because I don't have to trellis them, and they don't hog the sun for the rest of my garden.

How to plant - I start by adding Dr. Earth Premium Organic 5 to soil before planting. Plant seeds 2 to 3 inches apart. Lay the seeds on their side and cover with about 1 inch of fine soil. Plant with 2 to 3 feet between rows, this makes it easier when you harvest. I enjoy them throughout the summer, so I plant every 2 weeks. You will have more green beans than you can eat, and I always enjoy sharing with neighbors. Plant marigolds nearby to help control pests.

Watering - Water plants lightly, evenly and regularly. Do not water overhead. This wets the leaves and can promote disease like bean rust. Increase watering from germination to flowering, and from flowering to the first pods and through harvest.

Fertilizing - After plant sprouts I start foliage spray with a organic fertilizer, like a fish emulsion, every two weeks for 6 to 8 weeks.

Harvest - This French bean is very slender and ready to pick when it is about 1/8 inch in diameter or 4 to 5 inches long. They can get stringy if you allow them to grow larger. I pick every other day and can't keep up with the quantity this little bush grows.

Ed Hume Seeds
Type: French Beans Gourmet Green Bush, Baby Filet Type

Good Companion: potato, celery, cucumber, corn, carrot, strawberry, chard and cauliflower.

Bad Companion: Basil, fennel, kohlrabi, onion family.

Enjoy!
Ruby

2 comments:

  1. having trouble getting the "French Beans" Ed Hume to germinate. They are planted per directions on package but only a fraction of the seeds ever come up. Anyone have ideas. Not only I am having trouble, but three others I have talked to also. Help

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ground is too cold to germinate. I don't put my seeds in the ground till the 3rd week of May. I plant a row every week, so i harvest throughout the summer.

    ReplyDelete