Friday, March 9, 2012

Pest Control


Companion Planting - Planting a garden in my backyard makes for close quarters for the variety of vegetables that I plant.  I found that you can solve lots of PEST problems by companion planting. I will list good and bad companions for each plant when I post the planting of a particular vegetable. Below are some other things to plant in your garden to help control pest.


Lady Bugs....Lady Bugs....and more Lady Bugs are one of the best things you can have in your garden!


Garlic is great to plant and ward off Japanese beetles, weevils, spider mites, and it is a good companion to beets, and lettuce.
Celery is great to plant and ward off Moths, and is a good companion to everything, except carrots, parsley, and parsnip.


African Marigolds are great at warding off pest like corn ear worms, and add color to your garden. 
Farmers and gardeners have long known that marigolds make important companion plants. Plant them all over your garden. The scents of the marigold repel animals and insects, and the underground workings of the marigold will repel microscopic worms and other pest. I am not planting corn this year, but this always worked for me, and I always had worm-free corn! (Do not fertilize marigolds they bloom better in poor dry soil, also if you deadhead the blossoms, they will continue to bloom profusely).


Garden Buddies - I plant my Green Beans (Bush) in an adjacent bed to my potatoes. Beans repel Colorado potato beetle, and potatoes repel Mexican bean beetles. Now that is what I call garden buddies!!!


Enjoy your friendly garden,
Ruby

No comments:

Post a Comment